With 85 percent of Americans planning summer getaways, 90 percent of which will be by car, the personal finance website WalletHub followed up on its analysis ofBest Gas Credit Cards with a look at 2015’s Best & Worst States for Summer Road Trips.
Using 20 key metrics, WalletHub compared the 50 U.S. states to identify the states that offer frugally minded road travelers the most fun for the least cost. Our data set ranges from average gas prices to the quality of roads to the number of attractions.
|2015’s Best States for Summer Road Trips||2015’s Worst States for Summer Road Trips|
|9||North Carolina||49||North Dakota|
- California has 22 times more scenic byways than Connecticut.
- The price of camping in Connecticut is double the price in Nevada.
- The price of a three-star hotel room in Hawaii is three times more expensive than in Arizona.
- Massachusetts has three times more fatalities per 100 million vehicle miles traveled than Montana.
- California has eight times more car thefts per 100,000 residents than Vermont.
- Nevada has six times more nightlife options per 100,000 residents than New Jersey.